a england swatches


posted by Unknown on , , , , , ,

No comments

Hey guys.
Just a quick couple of posts today as I feel I've neglected my blog this week as I've been finishing up my art foundation course. I also wanted to show you guys the new a-england polishes I bought which came today. I bought two colours from the Gothic Beauties collection, Ophelia and Tess D'urbervilles. These retail at £9 from the a-england website but at the moment they only ship to the UK. I also really want Lady of Shalott and Jane Eyre from this collection. Picture then I'll do a short review. (Just to let you know I bought these with my own money I'll state if in the future I've been sent products.)

Opheila

Based on the doomed character of Shakespeare's play "Hamlet", young Ophelia who is destined to be the bride of Hamlet, the rightful king of Denmark, is sent conflicting messages by him - a man she has become besotted with. Upon her father's death, she begins to spiral down into a deep madness, finally killing herself by drowning - but not before she takes the herb "rue", a well-known symbol of regret.

I really liked this colour although I was initially disappointed by both of these colours as I expected them to look more like they do in the bottle but when applied they are a lot darker. As I got used to the colour though I grew to love it as when your nails catch the light they truly sparkle. They remind be of China Glaze smoke and ashes and has a similar finish on the nail if you don't apply top coat. 

Tess d'Urbervilles

From Thomas Hardy's title character in "Tess d'Urbervilles: A Pure Woman Faithfully Presented (1891)", this is the story of a young rural woman whose life becomes torn apart by strict Victorian conventions when she becomes the focus of carnal attention by Alec d'Urberville - a man of self-imposed nobility and despicable morals. While Tess's heart is pure, her physical beauty makes her a target and thus dooms her to never finding inner peace due to the rigidly adhered-to womanly ideals she has to live up to. Imprisoned and sentenced to death for Alec's murder, she finds peace at last through death.
I don't usually buy many greens as it's usually not a colour that draws me, yet I was immediately draw to this one and I much prefer this to Ophelia. It was also a lot easier to photograph which is a plus. Both of these polishes though had a great formula and applied easily and with one coat, which I was very impresses with. These colours really do have a very Gothic feel to them. I don't think I will be wearing them often but think they would look great on a night out. 


Hope you enjoy 
Lauren