My Nail care


posted by Unknown on , , ,

No comments

I've been meaning for a while to do a short post on how I make sure my nails are strong and healthy. Up until about 4 months ago I bit my nails so when I finally said to myself, you really need to stop this I didn't know how to go about it. In the past I had tried the products that you put on your nails to make them taste bad. Yet this never seems to work as either you forget to use it or the taste does not really bother you any more  I realised though that when I painted my nails, even with clear polish I was less likely to bite them as you get all these flakes of polish in your mouth which is horrible.

So I knew to stop biting my nails it would take 30 days to break the habit (Learnt this in A level psychology :D). During this time I religiously painted my nails. The second I noticed any chips I would either touch up the polish or take it of and start again. However constantly using cheap polish remover I think damaged my nails, making them really flexible and prone to splitting. So I invested in better polish remover. I use Cutex Nourishing polish remover for weak nails(£2.15 for 200ml or £1.59 for 100ml) and instantly started to notice the difference. My nails were a lot stronger and the tips whiter as this remover has vitamins and moisturisers in it along with a nail whitening formula.

I also began to use Sally Hansen Hard as nails (£3.95) as a base and top coat although it is not sold for this use only as a strengthening polish. I've now however moved on to Sally Hansen Insta-dri (£5.95)as it is an anti chip top coat and dries in 30 seconds. I'm also very into hand moisturisers. I currently alternate between Vaseline healthy hands and strong nails, and Neal's Yard Bee Lovely hand cream. Vaseline healthy hands and strong nails (£4.69 for 200ml) contains keratin to strengthen nails, it also smooths cuticles and smells great. I love all Vaseline moisturising products and use aloe fresh and essential moisture (£4.69 for 400ml) on the rest of my body, I also got my mum and lots of friends into using the hand cream. Neal's Yard Bee Lovely hand cream (£10 for 50ml direct from their website) is a lovely orange smelling cream that smells sort of like a Terry's chocolate orange.It's probably the most expensive product I use but it came free with Marie claires april edition :P.

The final product I use is Burt's Bees cuticle cream which I love due to it's strong lemon smell and the way it smooths my cuticles. Apart from products you can by for good nail care I thing a healthy diet is also important and I regularly take vitamin supplements such as evening primrose oil and iron.

Hope you enjoy
Lauren